Friday, 18 February 2011

Potatoes to chit, onions, shallots and garlic to plant...



Yes!  My first order of 2011, from the Organic Gardening Catalogue, has arrived:

  
Onion Sets: Jet Set
Shallots: Longor
Garlic: Flavour
Potatoes: Orla
Broad Bean: Witkiem
Carrot: Nantes 2
Leek: Bandit
Leek: Pandora
Seaweed Extract
Hand Lens



So there's a lot of work ahead, 

especially since the vegetable patch (aka The Kitchen Garden) is... well...







 ...in a big mess!  

Oh shame!  What happened last year...?  There was a reason - or three!




Well, there's no point in dwelling on the past - I just need to get stuck in.  Urgently!  

The bit you can see has already been turned into beds - yes, really!  The bit you can't see has yet to be tamed.  No worries, though, Mr (non-gardener) Ragbag is going to devote some time to that (this is a first): clear, level, make a new bed and plant the onion sets, shallots and garlic.  Probably not the best scheme as far as the alliums are concerned - time is short - but the master plan and rotation includes the, so far, unmade beds... 


Let's just say, it will be interesting to see what actually happens.  I may even blog about it!









4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have your work cut out but its always worth it in the garden, you certainly do have a wounderful patch too work with. I will be interested to see it come to life and what a coincidence that you appear to have an apple tree in almost the same spot as do I, (in relation to your veg patch that is). Thanks very much for popping by my blog and for following. I have clicked to follow your advantures also.

    King Regards
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello James and thank you for visiting!

    Plenty of work, indeed! The main disadvantages are rampant ground elder and bindweed in the less tamed bits and sandy soil, although this makes the weeding somewhat easier. There's also plenty of couch grass, stinging nettle and a bit of bramble. If I don't get the nettles out soon, I shan't want to disturb the wildlife - I generally find it difficult to be ruthless! I was tempted to post some photos of it looking rather more cared for but they weren't so recent.

    It's difficult to tell about the trees, in this shot. The nearest one is, in fact, a plum and behind it, an overgrown lilac with lovely, dark blooms. They are really too close to each other but I allow them both to stay. I do, also, have an old apple tree but it is out of shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you are to have such a garden outside the back door ( I assume!). I'm sure you'll have it back in good order soon. Plenty of time for the onions and shallots I'd have thought. Aren't they more prone to going to seed if they are planted too early? Or is that just mine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Colleen,
    Yes, I do feel lucky to have a sizeable plot. We have a garden in 3 bits: front, back and the bit you see here, which is beyond the smaller back garden. It used to belong to a neighbour across the road, who grew vegetables on most of it. However, it had become rather neglected and overgrown when we took it on and it's a slow process getting it under control.

    I'm not an expert with onions so you are probably right! The thing I need to avoid is planting too late when my sets have gone soft! I haven't planted any yet and I just might put some into coir pots to get them started; but I haven't got a greenhouse (that isn't in bits!), or a cold frame... Such is life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...