It’s good to keep in tune with what’s going on – or not – in the garden so, despite the bitter cold this afternoon, I ventured out and started pottering.
Then, having topped up the bird food and put out fresh water, I made for...
The Kitchen Garden
(it's grand name).
Mr Ragbag was attacking the brambles, here, yesterday - that is,
"...just defeating their bid for world domination..."
So I thought a bonfire was in order.
I went to the shed (my shed) to fetch fire-lighting materials.
My shed is a bit too small. Fortunately, they were just inside the door.
I laid the fire,
cut the brambles to size, suitably clad,
and lit the fire – with about 8 matches, I guess (I didn’t count).
It was a successful fire, I’m pleased to report
but it needed some dry stuff to boost the flames;
so I fetched some of last year’s brittle, nettle stems from the untamed bit – easily snapped off
- and discovered some fungus growing on a hazel stump.
Fungus is great – so long as it’s not Honey Fungus. Panic! Is it Honey Fungus?
I wouldn’t be surprised, but I really hope not!
I also found a suspicious-looking hole – only medium-sized.
(Well, I already knew it was there, really! But I didn't know about the fungus.)
Might need to make the usual, annual appointment with Pest Control…
Then, inspired by the good, hot bonfire,
I remembered the strawberry bed, and the leaves still to pick and burn
(from the summer tidy that didn’t happen).
I didn’t have time to remove all the manky ones but I made a start and it was satisfying work.
I also didn't have time to put this lot
on the habitat pile
but I found two ladybirds - finding ladybirds always pleases me, unless they are Harlequins
- and this skeleton.
The Kitchen Garden in Better Times
(the almost finished bit)